List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Autoinstall
From:       Josef Wolf <jw () raven ! inka ! de>
Date:       2023-04-25 14:58:57

Hello,

I have used preseeding with the old d-i style for many years and am about to
move to the new autoinstall feature of ubuntu-22.04

With this, I have some issues:

For first, I use the following command line:

   menuentry "Autoinstall" {
     set gfxpayload=keep
     linux   /casper/vmlinuz quiet autoinstall ds=nocloud\;s=/cdrom/preseed/ ---
     initrd  /casper/initrd
   }

Although I explicitly specify the location of the user-init file, there is a
big delay at startup with message

   wait for cloud-init

At some point in time it eventually times out and actually loads the user-data
that is located at /cdrom/preseed directory. Why this delay? Why wont it just
go and load the supplied file immediately?

Second issue is, I specify a wlan config and user config like this:

  #cloud-config
  autoinstall:
    version: 1
    interactive-sections:  # Install groups listed here will wait for user input
      - storage
      - network
      - identity
    network:
      version: 2
        wifis:
          wlp1s0:
            access-points:
              Guest-SSID:
              password: Password-for-guest-net
            dhcp4:
              true
    identity:
      hostname: foobar
      password: dfsldhkasfansdvjbdfuip94c9234z2837rz8erghc8qeh83mhf9qehgergegegdcrfwehruwe
      realname: Initial User
      username: dummy

But the section is simply ignored. And for the identity section, the password
is wiped.

Why?

--
Josef Wolf