List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: GUI terminal emu with a single step copy & paste feature - Was: non-snap version of FF under Ubu
From:       Bret Busby <bret () busby ! net>
Date:       2023-04-21 10:31:52

On 21/4/23 18:25, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 21/4/23 17:51, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>>
>>> Doesn't <CTRL><C> and <CTRL><V> work for you, with copy and paste?
>>
>> Hi Bret,
>>
>> in ROXTerm
>>
>> Shift+Ctrl+C does copy
>> Shift+Ctrl+V does paste
>> Shift+Ctrl+Y does copy & paste
>>
>> but usually I'm using the right click menu after selecting the text I
>> want to copy & paste.
>>
>> This is a useful feature, if you want to copy text within the same
>> terminal tab, not to share between different tabs or other apps.
>>
>> Take a look at the attached screenshot.
>>
>> I typed
>>
>> echo "bar"
>>
>> pushed enter and then I noticed that I have forgotten to type
>>
>> foo
>>
>> in the example I already have
>>
>> echo "foo
>>
>> then I mark
>>
>> bar"
>>
>> and use the copy & paste feature to copy and paste it by one step. I
>> don't use two steps, 1. copy and 2. paste to get
>>
>> echo "foo bar"
>>
>> I don't know how to use command line that easy with readline, at least
>>
>> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ echo "bar"
>> bar
>> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ !!:s^bar^foo bar
>> echo "foo bar"
>> foo bar
>>
>> IMO isn't that straight forward. Let alone that I didn't remember
>> !!:s^string^string, I needed to google for it.
>>
>> My example is stupid, but I think you get the point.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>>

> I use <CTRL><C> and <CTRL><V> also outside of terminals; when using
> Thunderbird to compose and send email, and, when using online forms for
> sending text, and, also, in (whatever is the correct name for it) the
> URL box in web browsers, such as Firefox (no snapdragons involved in my
> installed Firefoxes :) ).
>
> I often use <CTRL><C> to copy URL's from the URL box in Firefox, then,
> <CTRL<V> to paste them into email messages that I am composing in
> Thunderbird, and, also, into terminals, when I am using youtube-dl .
>
> The <CTRL><C> and <CTRL><V> combination is not limited to use in a
> text-based interface, such as a terminal emulator.
>
> I can also use the mouse to mark a block of text, then use <CTRL><C> to
> copy the block of text, then, <CTRL><V> to paste the text, which is
> useful for embodying blocks of text into online comment forms, for
> citing quotes from articles to which I am responding, in their online
> Comment forms.
>
> (unfortunately, as I keep forgetting, <CTRL><X>, that works in
> pine/alpine, to send messages, does not work in Thunderbird :) )
>
> ..
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> (UTC+0800)

Oh, and, as may have been seen (and realised) previously, I have also
copied blocks of marked text from my terminal emulator (mate-terminal)
and pasted into Thunderbird, when I have posted the entering of
commands, and, the responses, to the mailing list. That was done using
<CTRL><C and <CTRL><V> .

..
Bret Busby
Armadale