List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: Is a tool available to check the  integrity of copied files?
From:       Little Girl <littlergirl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-15 2:18:38

Hey there,

Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

>I've done some googling for "does linux diff compare data using a
>cache" to figure out what's going on. The first diff of 10 GiB of
>data copied from a SATA3 SSD to an USB 2 stick connected to an USB 3
>port took around a minute, right after the copy finished. A second
>diff needed 3 seconds. Both returned exit status 0.

Probably any of the many backup tools out there could do it. What
you'd do is create a backup of one of the copies of the files and
then use the backup program to compare that with another copy
elsewhere by doing a dry run. It would list off everything that's
different or missing or new. My backup program of choice is Grsync
and I know it could do it, because it gives me just such a report
every week before I run my backups.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.