List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: UPDATE/CHANGE to: which of THESE scanners/printers will surely work on Ubuntu 22.04?
From:       Keith <keith () caramail ! com>
Date:       2022-10-19 17:45:33

On 10/18/22 11:19 PM, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 15:39:08 PM -0500, Keith wrote:
>> On 10/18/22 2:03 PM, Brian wrote:
>>>

>> [snipped]
>>
>>> Additionally, why such emphasis on libsane1's pixma backend? As
>>> alluded to earlier, Ubunti 22.04 will use the very capable airscan
>>> backen by default. Which one is the most sutable backend can only
>>> be determined  by someone in possession of the scanner.
>>
>> I'm not advocating for sane's pixma driver over airscan. I made no mention
>> of airscan or even the pixma driver's suitability for his purpose in any of
>> my posts.
>>
>> In my first reply, I was merely addressing Marco's concern...
>
> Hi again,
>
> first of all, many thanks to both Brian and Keith for discussing all
> this new (for me at least) information.
>
> Then, some clarification: as far as I am concerned, the only thing
> that matters in the short term is to digitize the thousands
> photographs in 10x15 cm format now piled in small boxes over, and all
> around my desk as soon as possible, so they can be properly archived
> somewhere else. Right now, I have barely the space to move the
> mouse...
>
> I already have a bash/zenity script (ask me offline if you want it!)
> that, when I place four 10x15cm photographs side by side in a flatbed scanner:
>
> 1: calls scanimage to make one A4 scan at the highest supported resolution
>
> 2: splits the resulting image in four smaller ones, each matching very
>     closely one of those photographs, and saves them, with progressive
>     numbers, into a folder where I can grab and edit them later on
>
> 3: "GOTO 1" if I place four new photographs into the scanner and click
>     on the "Continue" button by Zenity
>
> so all I need *now* is to know which scanner to buy, and which SANE
> package(s) to install on Ubuntu 22.04 to be sure that, once I have
> changed the scanner name ( -d option) in the scanimage call,
> everything will work exactly as above right away, without wasting
> hours or days to tweak stuff. I can worry about everything else
> e.g. optimizing images, OCR integration, GUIs and so on when I'm done
> with the photographs, no problem.
>
> And from your discussion I understand that if I buy a Canon Canoscan
> LiDE 400, the current standard SANE package(s) of Ubuntu 22.04 will be
> enough, won't they?
>
> Thanks,
> Marco

Well, I can't advise you on which scanner to buy or comment on your plan
because my scanning requirements are trivial compared to the job you're
preparing for. My Brother DS-740D mobile scanner handles all my
lightweight scanning needs, which is digitizing various documents into
PDF forms on an occasional basis.

I do feel reasonably confident based off of the information on the SANE
Project website that the Canon scanner you're thinking of purchasing
will be recognized and ready for operation when you plug it in. How well
will it perform? Will the driver and utility programs support all the
features of the device? Are they bug free? I couldn't tell you as I
don't have experience with that hardware and have not needed a scanner
suitable to do the task you're set to do.

Since you mentioned VueScan in second post, I would give serious
consideration to purchasing a copy or a monthly subscription. You can
even cancel the subscription when you sign on, so you'll have use of the
software for 30 days if that's all you needed it for. The programmer has
worked on and sold the software for almost a quarter of century, the
Canon LiDE 400 scanner is reported as supported, a new version was just
released 8 days ago, their offering a 20% percent discount on new
purchases, you can install the software and get trial access to the
professional features to try it out, and there's a 7-day money-back
guarantee. I know I sound like a paid promoter, lol, but I'm not. I was
set to purchase VueScan a couple of years ago had the opensource
programs not worked with my scanner, but they did so I passed on it. But
its nice to have the option if the free stuff doesn't work well.

--
Keith