List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: An operating system with all the usual tools, but without news and ads
From:       Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <ubuntu-users () lists ! ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2022-06-10 7:55:37

On Thu, 9 Jun 2022 19:02:46 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Thu, 9 Jun 2022 14:50:22 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>>try something more aimed at FOSS hardcore, such as Librewolf
>>or Gnuzilla (successor to Iceweasel):
>>
>>https://librewolf.net/
>
>LibreWolf is new to me. Sounds good. I installed it, it's the same
>version as Firefox is, version 101.0.

Hi,

LibreWolf is feature rich, for example

--kiosk            Start the browser in kiosk mode.

Opens LibreWolf full screen, the only way to close it is
Ctrl+Alt+Fn, getting the PID and to then to kill it by PID, killall
doesn't terminate it.

--preferences      Open Preferences dialog.

Opens Edit > Settings

How useful are options such as --kiosk or --preferences? Btw. Firefox
provides this options, too.

--window-size width[,height] Width and optionally height of
  screenshot.

Useful?

Firefox remembers at what size it was closed and next time it opens
with this size.

Firefox provides this option, too.

LibeWolf does not remember the window size and when starting it without
an option, it does open with a size I don't like.

Résumé

By installing LibreWolf you get rid of one infantilizing (unwanted
ads) at the cost of another infantilizing (an unwanted window size).

To get rid of Firfox's ads you can uncheck the sponsoring option.

To replace LibreWolf's enforced window size with opening it by the size
you closed it, just write a wrapper script that checks the size when
closing it and that opens using the --window-size option and simply
replace the desktop file by another one that does use the wrapper.
Maybe there's an option I'm missing.

IOW I removed LibreWolf, because the only thing I like about it are the
signed checksums. I'm aware that window sizes are related to privacy,
but I seriously doubt that the window sizes I prefer are a real
privacy risks.

At the moment I still stay with Waterfox and Firefox.
I keep Pale Moon, but don't tend to use it very much.
I keep IceCat for hysterical raisins.
And for this and that I still keep Falcon, Chrome and other.

Regards,
Ralf