List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: Problems with headless system
From:       Xen <list () xenhideout ! nl>
Date:       2017-04-16 11:40:30

Jay Ridgley schreef op 16-04-2017 13:17:

> After looking at the Device Mapper info on Google and examining the
> /etc/fstab file, I realized the system, for some unknown reason,
> decided that that was the way to handle my / partition (/dev/sda1).
> This evidently happened during either at installation of at some later
> date, I did not request it.
>
> How do I remove the DM stuff via the command line? I use apt-get to do
> updates but I am unsure of how to do much else.
>
> I can modify the /etc/fstab to use legacy notation. Is that sufficient
> or do I need to do more?

A device mapper is usually not a problem, particularly if you use LVM.

I don't think the solution is so simple as of present, although it could
be simple, but I cannot and no one can really see from a distance?

You would really need someone to look around your system or someone who
can pinpoint more directly what is going wrong.

Please also, just for the heck of it, check that /dev/null is not a
regular file :p

# vdir /dev/null

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Apr  4 15:49 /dev/null

There should be a 1, 3 in there :p.

But anyway it could be something like that.

Many things go wrong when certain device files are not okay (they are
special types of files).