List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    New box, memory problem
From:       rikona <rikona () sonic ! net>
Date:       2016-09-30 22:57:49

New box, MSI 970a-g43+ MB. Yet another problem... :-( Had 16G memory
installed, was working well after fixing a number of problems. Decided
to put another 16G in for 32G total. Wouldn't boot! BIOS sees 32G. Ran
memtest, but it sees only 24G and gives errors if run with 32G. Tested
each 16G pair separately, both pairs test OK with memtest [although
got a "warning" on one set, which seems to work OK otherwise]. Each
16G pair seems to run fine in the box if installed as 16G. MB has no
integrated video, which could require memory- using a separate board
for video. 32G is the max for this MB.

(1) Could be a MB problem?

(2) MB might be fussy at 32G[max], but 24 might work?

(3) Manual says to install mem in 1&3, then 2&4, which I did. If I put
one pair in 2&4 with 1&3 open, might that damage the MB? If not, is
that a good way to check the 2&4 slots on the MB to see if they are
working properly?

What else can I do to track down and/or fix the problem?

Thanks,

 rikona