List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: problems upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04
From:       "J.L. Blom" <joep () neuroweave ! nl>
Date:       2016-09-26 22:34:00

On 26/09/16 19:03, Colin Law wrote:
> On 26 September 2016 at 16:02, J.L. Blom <joep@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> On 26/09/16 15:36, Tom H wrote:
>>> Run
>>> apt-get install -s gcc-5-base=5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.2
>>> to check what'll happen.
>>>
>>> If it looks OK, run
>>> apt-get install gcc-5-base=5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.2
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, you'll have to try to force it:
>>>
>>> apt-get install -s -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-all"
>>> gcc-5-base=5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.2
>>> then
>>> apt-get install -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-all"
>>> gcc-5-base=5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.2
>>>
>> Tom, thanks for the suggestions.
>> First, I don't think I downloaded this from a testing PPA as I always use
>> only LTS for ubuntu.
>> Second, I followed your suggestions and neither the first nor the forged
>> second version did do anything else than the chicken and egg problem. I
>> think something -not directly mentioned in the error messages prevents the
>> re-installation of the gcc-5-base library.
>> Maybe I have to forcibly remove this library, hoping at doesn't corrupt
>> completely the rest of the system.
>> But any suggestion is welcome.
> I think the thing to do may be to remove the package that has the
> unmet dependencies first so first to check it does not try and remove
> half the system run (the -s means simulate)
> sudo apt remove -s libstdc++6
> if that is ok run it again without the -s and then the install -f and
> if still ok remove and re-install gcc-5-base.
>
> If you have any problems with the above please copy/paste from the
> terminal the command and result so there is no confusion about what
> you have tried.
>
> Colin

Colin,
I tried that but a very long list of dependencies prevents this to run.
Ralf and Oliver,
I looked of course at the non-official packages but they doesn't seem to
be the problem (yet) as Oliver pointed out they are automatically
disabled. And again, as Oliver said, this library is one of the
essential ones that influence many packages (as I found out with dry-run
remove command as Colin gave (see the first sentence of this mail).
But I'm still stuck. Hopefully someone gives me the suggestion how to
over come this.
I wonder if it is possible to "re-upgrade" so to repeat the upgrade
procedure.
What I will look at - and if required put in the mail - is the log of
the upgrade process if I can find it but I assume it is in the log
directory.
For now, I go to sleep.but am of course open for suggestions.
Joep