List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: Failed 16-04 Upgrade recovery question
From:       Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet () zoho ! com>
Date:       2016-09-19 4:51:13

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 20:18:20 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>I was attempting to upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 when the system
>reported an error message and QUIT!

What error message did you get?

>I created an CDROM from the Ubuntu site. WQhen I attempt to do an
>install I get a message that there is no root partition. But there is
>not an option of creating one either.

Do you want to overwrite the 14.04 install? Don't you want to fix the
interrupted release upgrade?

>The device entry contains the correct drive info but the partition
>table space is BLANK.

What steps were you doing, to get there. What drive info do you get?

>Ideas for recovery appreciated.

What is broken and what do you want to recover?

I suspect that after the upgrade failed, you were unable to boot 14.04.
If this should be right, then you didn't spend much time to find
help that already is provided and is available by the mailing list
archive.

First try to boot using recovery mode, if this shouldn't work, chroot.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery

As soon as you have got access run

   sudo apt update
   sudo apt -f install
   sudo dpkg --configure -a
   sudo apt full-upgrade
   sudo apt autoremove

After this, what does

   lsb_release -rc

say? If it's still 14.04 and you shouldn't use third party repositories
run

   sudo do-release-upgrade

and don't forget to post the commands you run and the output you got,
if something should fail.

FWIW you are aware that if something fails, you also could take a look
at log files? You could use the copied output of a command or a log
file to google?

Regards,
Ralf