List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: busy disk
From:       thufir <hawat.thufir () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-27 16:34:11

On Sat, 24 May 2014 16:39:34 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 24 May 2014 16:29, thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know why, but nmon shows a 100% busy disk quite often.  It's a
>> mix of read and write, but sometimes just reads.
>>
>> disk free shows:
>>
>> Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root   72G   20G   48G  29% /
>
> Is it swapping?  Use System Monitor to see whether it is using more than
> a few MB.
> How much RAM have you got and are you using Unity, LXDE or what?
>
> Colin

I'm using 13.10 stock, so Unity.  I'll have to catch it again to see how
much MB it's using of RAM, but it bogs the whole system down to a crawl.
Mostly reads, but some writes.

I have 2GB RAM, DDR2:

thufir@dur:~$ free -h
Mem:          2.0G       1.6G       320M       174M        55M       884M

but this is when everything is fine.

thanks,

Thufir