List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    CPU TEMP
From:       blchupin () iinet ! net ! au (Basil Chupin)
Date:       2013-02-26 5:46:24

On 26/02/13 08:36, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 02/24/2013 08:49 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> I have a blue tooth keyboard, and if I turn it off to save battery
>>> between using it one of my CPUs goes to 98-100% and stays there until
>>> I turn it back on. Then goes back to normal.  The same thing happens
>>> if I do not use the keyboard for an extended time. When this happens
>>> all I have to do is hit a couple of keys to bring the usage back to
>>> normal.  I use GkrellM on the side of my monitor so I am aware when it
>>> happens.  I guess I can live with this.
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>> Ross
>>
>> Hey, that's a novel way of running a computer: you disconnect a device
>> and the cpu starts to work; reconnect the device and the cpu stops
>> working. I wonder if all computers are meant to work this way? :-)
>>
>> Probably what is happening is that some apps need to have access the
>> keyboard and when they cannot then they go into panic mode and start
>> furiously looking for it - which is why the cpu goes to 100%. It would
>> therefore be worthwhile to find out which app or apps are causing this
>> peaking of cpu because there may be a way (a config file perhaps) which
>> may stop this.
>
> The fun part is that he has to lift the lid to find out. That's like
> playing "Whack-a-Mole" with a lap top. <cackles> Ric
>
> p/s seriously there should be something in his various log files
> describing what went crazy and then googling on that.

He sounds like he knows something so I didn't want to go to the extreme
of pointing out to him that there would be logs which may indicate where
the problem may lie; but the other thing, of course, is that if the
blue-tooth k/board is disconnected and the cpu usage goes up then the
only way to do something like 'sudo ps aux' would be from another
computer on a network :-) .

But, as the man said, he is happy with his situation.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.00 & kernel 3.8.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor