List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    How to install Ubuntu 12.04, booted from external HDD
From:       woyciesjes () sbcglobal ! net (Dave Woyciesjes)
Date:       2012-11-30 22:57:38

On 11/30/2012 05:51 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 30 November 2012 22:40, Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 11/30/2012 05:17 PM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Can't you just put the installer image on a usb stick?  Much easier.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>          I would, If I had one larger than 1GB. :) And I'd rather learn
>> something too... Plus, another benefit of using this 60GB drive, is the
>> space for backing up before reinstalling.
>
> Is it a usb external drive?  If so you may be able to put the image on
> in the same way as one does to create a bootable usb stick.  I don't
> know though.  I would then make a separate partition for your backups
> rather than extending the one on the installation disc I think.
>
> 4GB sticks don't cost much by the way, and are better for installing
> from than DVD as they are much faster.  A real disc will be even
> quicker of course.
>
> Colin

	Yep, 60GB external USB 2.5" HDD. I've got an external CD drive, but
it's a pain to lug around. Hence my wanting to be able to use the HDD.
I've already got Ubuntu up & running on the USB HDD. And have Ubuntu iso
files on it as well...

	I tried the Startup Disc Creator, but that won't use the HDD as a
destination...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818