List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    headphones work, speakers broken
From:       wayward4now () gmail ! com (Ric Moore)
Date:       2012-01-28 21:26:20

On 01/28/2012 02:44 AM, Thufir Hawat wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:45:22 -0500, Sam Sebastian wrote:
>
>> try alsamixer (from the command line) try turing all of the settings up
>

> ok, that worked.  Total madness.  Generally, Linux is fairly
> straightforward, but that's absurd.  Too many ways to configure sound.

It's more straightforward once you consider that pulse sits on top of
alsa. So, if alsa is not configured, pulse has no chance. Pulse merely
handles alsa's out/in-put regarding which source is used at any given
time, per application. It remembers. I love it. So, pulse takes what
alsa hands it and then routes sound to the proper sound device or input
from whichever microphone or input source for your recording session.
Once you wrap your head around it, it makes more sense.

Plus, you can change your sources on the fly, or speaker set up, like
from 5.1 to headphones with pavucontrol. No more dinking with
.asound.conf stuff. Also, make SURE you have pavucontrol installed. Why
it's not a standard bit of kit is beyond me, as you have to have it in
order to set things once alsa is set. I mean, without it you're stuck
like Chuck. Install that, fire it up, select your speakers and inputs
and you're riding man!  Enjoy, Ric