List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Upgrading from Lucid to Maverick: Fresh, new Install vs Upgrade using Update Manager
From:       mhullrich () gmail ! com (Mark)
Date:       2010-11-30 19:48:25

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

<upgrade vs. fresh install>

I had similar experiences with CentOS when I was using that, but the
distinctions were generally much clearer:

For minor releases (i.e., 5.1->5.2), use 'yum update' because it works
really well (for yum).  'Yum upgrade' does the same thing.

For major releases (i.e., 5.x->6.0), reinstall.  Period.  Upgrades
sometimes work, but they come with major headaches, partly because
it's yum (and rpms) and partly because it's a huge deal that is tricky
to upgrade under the best of circumstances.  'Yum update' doesn't work
across the major release boundary, by design.

With Ubuntu, the release cycle is different and the numbers don't
really reflect the same kind of distinction (major vs. minor release,
etc.), but I suspect similar principles apply.

When I decide to move up to Ubuntu 11.04, I plan to a) wait a month or
so for the release to stabilize, something I did not do with 10.10
(but which, I believe, has not given me too much trouble) and b)
download the CD and do a fresh install on a new / partition so I can
keep the old 10.10 one as a cushion for my fragile ego....