List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    updatedb doesn't update
From:       pengyu.ut () gmail ! com (Peng Yu)
Date:       2010-10-31 22:04:40

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 11:50 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> I reinstalled mlocate. Now I have /etc/updatedb.conf. Are there
>> anything I need to do to let updatedb run regularly?
>>
>> $ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
>> PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
>> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
>> PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs iso9660 ncpfs
>> coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite tmpfs usbfs
>> udf rpc_pipefs"
>>

> No. It should be updated daily and on reboot.
> /etc/cron.daily/mlocate
> See:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/updatedb.8.html
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/cron.8.html
>
> Also note; if you install a package via dpkg and need to see the results
> immediately via 'locate', you'll need to manually run 'sudo updatedb'
> beforehand. Otherwise you'll need to wait until updatedb is run via cron.

I still see the following error. Do you know how to fix it?

$ locate something
locate: can not open `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db': No such file or directory

My ubuntu system can not be updated to the latest one. Could this be
the reason why mlocate is not working?

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04