List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Screen saver in 10.10
From:       thezorch () gmail ! com (Michael Haney)
Date:       2010-10-31 18:48:05

Don't know how much good I can do as I'm a newbie to Linux myself, but I'll try.

What sort of graphics card do you have?  If its an Nvidia card are you
using the community written open-source drivers that are built into
the kernel, or did you go into System > Administration > Additional
Drivers and install the drivers for your card from there?   Is this
happening with ANY screensaver or just the GL screensavers?  Do you
have Desktop Effects turned on, and if so is it set to Normal or
Extra?  This information may help others determine what's wrong.  The
more clues the better.

As Colin Law said it could be a problem with the drivers that causes
X.org to crash.  I don't know if its possible to reinstall the
Xscreensaver daemon without doing a full re-install.  Is that possible
from Synaptic, anybody?  Not sure if that's what you'd ultimately have
to do, but its also entirely possible that this is just a driver
issue.

I'm using the 173 drivers for my 8x AGP Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 card
without any problems at all.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:? http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts