List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Network Manager Problem...
From:       larryesu () charter ! net (Larry Shields)
Date:       2010-08-30 15:46:47

On 08/30/2010 07:18 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Larry Shields wrote:

>>> What do you mean by "drops the connection every minute"? Does it
>>> reconnect? If yes, how long is the link disconnected?
>>>

>> My wireless route is in another room, and on the computer I have an
>> SMC usb 2.0 adapter the smcwusb-n2, which has worked fine
>> before...But now for some reason my connection which is 100%, gets
>> dropped about ever min, or two, so I have too restart it...
>>
> OK, if you have to restart it, it is different from the regular dropouts
> I noticed with NM some time ago. BTW: What type of encryption do you use
> on your wireless link (WEP/WPA/WPA2)?
>

>> I am running Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid, I was wondering if there is something
>> one can add to a script too keep it active...??? For when I try to
>> download a program, it stops after a period of time which is very
>> annoying...
>>
> I don't know about a script to reconnect, but I would rather try to make
> the link stay active in the first place. If you find something in the
> log files "/var/log/messages" or "/var/log/syslog" after the connection
> is lost, you could post that info.
>
> You could also try if wicd works better for you, but make sure that
> networkmanager doesn't try to use the wireless card at the same time as
> wicd.
>

> Nils

Hi Nils,

I am using WPA/WPA2, as for the driver I am not sure which one I have or
it is using...

Also I will check my /var/log/syslog & messages, but right now I am
going back and forth between the hospital, for a man who has cancer...So
when I get the time I will do more checking on what the problem maybe
here...

It is very strange, because it has always worked just fine, and have
never dropped out, also it does not try to reconnect either...

Thanks for the reply...

Larry