List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    printing
From:       brian.mckee () gmail ! com (Brian McKee)
Date:       2009-04-25 14:05:48

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Daniel Dalton
<daniel.dalton at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I'm quite new to the graphical side of things in ubuntu, but on debian I
> generally use the lp* commands for managing print jobs. What program and
> how do I open it eg. what menu will i find it in, should I use for
> deleting and seeing what is queued to print?

In a given GUI program - the print command is always under the File
menu.  Once chosen, each program tends to have it's own variation on a
theme as to how things are laid out to access the various print
options.

Once you start a print job, an applet appears in the system tray that
would let you click on it and find the job progress etc.
It's not there if no print jobs are running.  Anybody know how to call
that sucker up without creating a print?

Under the Gnome System -> Administration -> Printing entry is a
program that lets you create/delete printers etc.

Quite honestly, lpstat, lpq and lpadmin or the web interface at
localhost:631 is the better way to go for print administration type
stuff IMO.

Brian