List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    event.s question (was inittab question previously)
From:       chris () bayareadigital ! us (Christopher Gray)
Date:       2007-08-31 20:24:39

Hi:

I do not have a /etc/event.s file on Ubuntu 7.4 distribution.  I do have an
event.d directory there which also doesn't contain an event.s file.

Is this something I must create manually?

Thank you.

Chris

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Peter (Ubuntu List) wrote:

> Christopher Gray wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I don't seem to have a file called inittab anywhere on my hard disk.  Can
>> somebody point me toward documentation on how Ubuntu does things like set the
>> run level?  I began looking around for this to see how to boot Ubuntu without
>> running Gnome automatically.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Feisty uses upstart and not init anymore. You can see the settings in
> /etc/event.s
>
> The following was written by Peter Garret a couple of months ago on this
> list:
> "On Debian-based distributions like Ubuntu, X runs in runlevel 2 , and
> there is no distinction between this and running without X.
>
> There are several ways to make the system boot to a tty prompt without
> starting X. The most direct way is to edit the file
>
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager
>
> and comment out the "/usr/sbin/gdm" or equivalent "kdm" line . Substitute
> "false" without quotes. You could also simply clobber it with
>
> echo "false" | sudo tee /etc/X11/default-display-manager
>
> Alternatively, if you are sure you will never need gdm/kdm , you can
> uninstall either or both.
> "
>
> Good luck
>
> --
> Peter van der Does
>
> GPG key: 13B81170
> IRC: Ganseki on irc.freenode.net

Christopher Gray, President
Bay Area Digital

Promoting good health with great technology

Bay Area Digital
870 Market Street, #653
San francisco, CA 94102
Phone:  (415) 217-6667