List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    autostarting programs on login in KDE
From:       kassube () gmx ! net (Nils Kassube)
Date:       2007-08-31 16:32:58

James Tappin wrote:
> The session manager should handle most things -- i.e. if it was there
> when you logged out it will be restarted (certainly for KDE apps, most
> (all?) Gnome apps and a good many others [emacs sessions tend to end up
> with the files permuted]).

Provided you really want to save your session when you log out. I don't
want to do that, because if the saved session is broken somehow, it is
quite difficult to login again. I don't know if it still can happen, but
I had that problem some years ago.

I don't know about the OP, but it seems to me, he doesn't want to save the
session during logout either, otherwise he wouldn't have asked the
question.

> For cases where session management doesn't work it is better to create
> an applnk file in the Autostart directory: Rt click -> create new ->
> application and then fill in the necessary details in the wizard that
> appears; rather than a link to the binary.

That's interesting. What is the downside of a symbolic to the binary? It
always worked for me.

Nils