List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Solved] java - Edgy
From:       jdangler () atlantic ! net (John Dangler)
Date:       2007-03-31 21:07:12

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 16:58 -0400, John Dangler wrote:
> I found out that Sun Java Studio doesn't want the java6 runtime, but the
> java5.  I installed the java5 components from synaptic, and went through
> update-alternatives telling Ubuntu to use that version.  However, during
> the installation asks for the location of the JDK, and doesn't seem to
> be able to locate any on my Ubuntu system.  I tried /usr/bin/java, but
> it didn't like that.  Can anyone tell me where I would be able to locate
> this ?

Ok.  I got the installer to run... it was looking
for /usr/lib/jvm/java-{version}/

If anyone else is trying to install sun java software (studio/netbeans,
etc),  the docs are a little sketchy... Also, Sun says it only has
tested this on windoze, solaris, and red hat.  If I get this running,
I'm going to send them the install log and ask them to add Ubuntu 6.10
to the mix...