List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Edgy upgrade problem
From:       bap () shrdlu ! com (Bernard Peek)
Date:       2006-11-29 12:50:48

In message <456D004C.50307 at lambaweb.com>, Akshay Lamba
<akshay at lambaweb.com> writes
>Bernard Peek wrote:
>> I upgraded a machine that I had been using as a Samba domain controller
>> on my home network. I had X installed too. Samba is still working but I
>> can't get X to start at all, and as a relative newbie I know when I'm
>> out of my depth. I've decided that the best solution is probably going
>> to be to reinstall. What I'd like to be able to do is to move the Samba
>> configuration onto a spare box.
>>
>> Can that be done, and if so which files do I need to copy?
>>
>/etc/samba/smb.conf

That's a given. But I also need to copy files that hold details of the
user and machine accounts etc. It wouldn't be difficult to re-create the
accounts, it's a home network with just a few machines.

>Also dont forget to backup your samba shares if there's data in it that
>u'll like to keep before doing a fresh install.

Yes. I'm going to take the opportunity to reconfigure the disks in the
box. I'll probably add another disk and mount the old one as /home.

>Having said that, I don't think it's necessary for you to reinstall just
>to get X working. Have you tried reconfiguring X? I'd suggest posting
>your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and any error messages you get when trying to
>launch X and someone would be able to help you sort that out.

I suspect that would have been easier before I started tinkering with
it. Because it's primarily a file-server X is not a critical part of the
system. I've tried removing X completely but that hasn't worked out too
well either.

--
Bernard Peek
back in search of cognoscenti