List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Weird terminal behavior with accented characters
From:       ulist () gs1 ! ubuntuforums ! org (olilo)
Date:       2006-07-31 19:47:57

Hi,

I had a lot of difficulties setting locales to correctly display
accented characters in console.

I finally had to edit /var/lib/locales/supported.d/fr and run
'dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

Now 'locale' displays this:

LANG=fr_BE

LANGUAGE=fr_BE

LC_CTYPE="fr_BE"

LC_NUMERIC="fr_BE"

LC_TIME="fr_BE"

LC_COLLATE="fr_BE"

LC_MONETARY="fr_BE"

LC_MESSAGES="fr_BE"

LC_PAPER="fr_BE"

LC_NAME="fr_BE"

LC_ADDRESS="fr_BE"

LC_TELEPHONE="fr_BE"

LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_BE"

LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_BE"

LC_ALL=

The problem I have now is that if I launch a terminal (rxvt, urxvt or
Eterm), accented characters displays correctly except if I delete them
(with backspace). Deleting one accented character removes two
characters.

I'm using gnome 2.14.2-0ubuntu1 and I launch my terminal window from a
panel launcher.

I found that if I launch another terminal inside one terminal,
everything works fine. Accented characters displays correctly and
deleting one accented character deletes exactly one character.

I tried different combination like launching a shell script like that:

rxvt &

Or checking the "run in terminal" option from the launcher properties
but without success.

What is the problem I didn't had that kind of problem on my old Debian
system (no troll here, I highly praise Ubuntu).

Thank you in advance for your help.

--

Olivier Laurent

--