List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Installation problems
From:       billy () silverbaseball ! com (Billy Pollifrone)
Date:       2006-02-06 16:06:47

You will want to google for "md5 checksum utility windows" to find a freely
downloadable md5 executable that you will run in a command prompt giving the
iso file as an argument. Basically, it is a checksum that is improbable to
give a duplicate checksum given two different strings of characters. While
it would be common to do in Linux, since this utility is normally installed,
it is not something a Windows user would normally use and may not know
about. That is why some distros actually perform a step to do this for you.

Basically, the utility will return a checksum that is 32 characters in
length that should match the checksum the creator of the file says is the
correct one.

- Billy