List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Help!
From:       psychosushi () optusnet ! com ! au (Sasha Tsykin)
Date:       2006-02-06 6:24:33

geeles at magma.ca wrote:
> I am a newcomer to Ubuntu, I have installed 5.10 and need to solve some
> problems before I can use it on a regular basis. Any help on the following would
> be much appreciated.
>
> 2. Trying to install the Aegis anti-virus program produces a message that it cannot
> be installed on my system, the same message also appears when I try to install
> the Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail program.

totally unnecessary. I don't think you realize just how uncommon a virus
attack on Linux is.
> 3. There are several programs I am interested in, including Thunderbird, that are
> available as .tar.gz downloads, how can I install these and integrate them
> into the desktop?

go to System => Administration => Synaptic. Use the search button to
check if packages are available there. To actually compile mozilla
thunderbird takes a long time, and is really for experts, as it is quite
challenging. Instead use synaptic to install it. Alternatively type in a
terminal: sudo apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird
> Any assistance much appreciated, thanks, George

Sasha