List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Backing up DVD movies
From:       kt-usenet () squeakydolphin ! com (Kenneth P !  Turvey)
Date:       2005-12-31 21:16:53

I posted this note to the Ubuntu forum, but I didn't get any response
there.  I probably shouldn't have added it to an old thread.  Anyway, I
thought someone here might be able to help me.

- --------------------

I'm having some problems with this myself so instead of creating a new
thread I thought I would just add to this one.

My daughter, two, has figured out how to put her own DVDs in the player
without any assistance from me. Although I'm quite proud of this feat,
she hasn't yet learned how to hold a DVD without putting her fingers on
the recording surface or treating it in such a way that ceases to
perform as a DVD.

So here I am trying to copy Shrek to a new disk. The old one works fine
in my computer but is essentially useless on the DVD player we have
connected to the TV. This is probably only the first of several of her
shows that I'm going to backup and preserve somewhere that it will be
safe from grape jam covered fingers.

So here we go...

I've got a dual layer recorder that connects to my laptop using USB. The
recorder works great with Verbatim dual layer disks (but not other
brands. I've asked BusLink for a firmware upgrade but they don't seem to
know what their doing. NEC has released the firmware upgrade some time
ago, but only for internal drives. I can record data to this drive
without any problems. It works great.

I can also pull the data off the DVDs with dvdbackup and libdvdcss
without any problems. I have a perfect working copy of shrek on my hard
drive now that I can play through totem-xine. The menus work, everything
works.

Unfortunately when I burn it to DVD it doesn't work quite as expected.
The menus don't work perfectly. There are long delays while it is

The command I'm using to burn the DVD is this:

sudo nice -n -10 growisofs -speed 1 -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrw -dvd-video SHREK

There are two problems with this that I notice write away.

1) It would be better if I could do this in two steps so I could test
the DVD by mounting the iso image. I think I can do this with mkisofs,
but I'm not sure if there are options other than the -dvd-video option.
Even if this works, I'm not sure that mounting the ISO will give me the
same result as reading directly from the DVD. My laptop is configured
in such a way that I have to mount the DVD before playing it. I don't
think this is exactly equivalent to the way the DVD player connected to
the T.V. works. If anyone has a suggestion on how I can get totem-xine
to play the DVD without mounting, in the same was as the DVD player
downstairs does, I would greatly appreciate the information.

2) The second obvious error is that my DVDs are recoreded with all the
files and directories having lowercase names. This is an obvious
difference between the original DVD and my copy. I don't know if this
matters, but it is certainly distressing that this obvious difference
exists and that I can't seem to find a way to fix it. The copy on the
hard disk has correct filenames.

What I really want is an exact copy of the Shrek DVD I started with. I
don't really care if it is encrypted or not. I would prefer that it
wasn't, but an exact copy would be fine. I understand that simply
dd'ing the disk won't do. Is there something similar that I can do to
create an exact copy?

Thanks.

- --
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>