List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Boot without X
From:       zamb () saudi ! net ! sa (ZIYAD A !  M !  AL-BATLY)
Date:       2005-07-31 5:02:56

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 17:59 -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> In Debian/Ubuntu, the default runlevels 2-5 are identical (runlevel 2 is
> the default).  This allows one to create customized levels if desired.
> For example, removing the S13gdm symbolic link from /etc/rc2.d will
> allow the system to boot into a virtual console instead of X.  As long
> as a symbolic link exists in one of the /etc/rc{2|3|4|5}.d directories,
> the links will not be changed during an upgrade.
>
> I haven't tried it, but from looking at 'man telinit' it appears to be
> possible to select the run level with a boot flag (in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst) so one could have separate menu entries for booting
> with and without X in the same way that recovery mode is chosen.
>
> Bob

First of all, thanks for sharing.

Second, I used Debian 3.0 and swear that GDM doesn't start at run-level
"2".  Of course, I was wrong (I just checked Debian's packages).

So, sorry for the List for my mistake; and for the original poster, if
you don't want GDM to start at run-level "2", just delete the link
"/etc/rc2.d/S??gdm".  Apparently, this is the easiest solution.

Ziyad.