Thanks. I tried that and thunderbird loads, but it doesn't seem to find any of my current settings (under ~/.thunderbird) which point to my current profile. It starts me up blank. Did it do the same for you? I know I could do thunderbird -P to fire up the profile manager, but it seems that it should be detecting my current settings? Or, is having two versions of thunderbird installed (I still have the 8.2 Ubuntu release installed) a problem? Doesn't seem like it should be as I didn't "install" 0.9 but just copied it to opt and made a link. -- zerohalo