List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    apt-get failing to find upgrades
From:       dc () davec ! uklinux ! net (David Coventry)
Date:       2004-11-07 21:54:41

Hi,

I'm a reasonably experienced linux user having started with SUSe some
years back, and ended up with Ubuntu by way of Mandrake 6, Corel Linux,
Gentoo and Knoppix, so I know my way around apt-get.

However, on my install of Ubuntu, apt-get fails.

I have used apt-spy to get mirrors, but am no closer to installing
anything on my system.

I have tried (for example) to install wine.

The error message I get is 'E: Package wine has no installation candidate'

Also 'W: You might want to run apt-get update to correct these problems'

Replacing the original sources.list file (AFTER uncommenting out all the
entries: what's the matter; are you deliberately laying down gotchas?),
well that still produced the same errors.

Dave