List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    nano consumes all CPU power
From:       suvarin () home ! se (Petri Pennanen)
Date:       2004-10-18 21:06:18

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 14:54 +0200, Eric Feliksik wrote:
> This is a minor issue not specific for Ubuntu, but I wonder if anyone
> can point me in the right direction (maybe I should file the bug (?)
> elsewhere).
>
> The problem is:
> When
> 	- I run an xterm as normal X
> 	- su to a user that user X can't control (try su'ing to root)
> 	- start nano
> 	- close the xterm
> then nano keeps running and immediately causes an extremely high load.
>
> I notice this after a while when my fans start make lots of noise. Then
> I kill nano.

I had this problem using my previous distro (Arch Linux). I reported it
to the Nano developers but never got any reply. The bug seems to be
known:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2003-09/msg00001.html

> This is not a severe problem, but I thought I should mention it. Should
> anything be done with this issue?

You might want to contact the Nano developers and help them find out
what is causing this.
http://www.nano-editor.org/mail.html

- Petri