List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    OT: recommend fast 2D card?
From:       nospam1 () nullcutter ! com (David Williamson)
Date:       2004-10-17 20:20:25

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 22:35 -0400, Chris wrote:
> Describe what you think "slow" 2D performance is.  What makes it slow?

I shouldn't say it's "slow," what I'm really asking for is just
"faster."  It takes almost a second to load a full-screen 1280x1024 1.5
meg (file size) 6 megapixel image (jpg) in the fastest viewer I have
used (gqview).  Now, if I'm going down the list of pics, and allow a
moment for the next one to load in advance, then the next one appears to
load instantaneously.  When I notice it is when I'm doing the
page-down-page-down-page-down thing, scanning through 100 pics looking
for a certain one, or that sort of thing.

It's not sloooow.  I'd just like instantaneous, that's all :-)  And I
thought there might be a card out there faster than what I have, perhaps
optimized for 2d rather than 3d.

I'm just gonna grab either an ATI 9100 or the fastest GeForce I can
afford and see what happens.

Again, this is a minor gripe, and of course completely unrelated to
Ubuntu.

The only Ubuntu gripe I have is the slow-downs to the point of lockups
when copying files from a USB 2.0 flash reader to my SATA drive, and I
think that's just a DMA issue (had to say SOMETHING Ubuntu-related in
this thread).

david williamson