List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    ASUS L5800DF installation report
From:       fabbione () canonical ! com (Fabio Massimo Di Nitto)
Date:       2004-10-16 3:46:36

Tor-bj?rn Claesson wrote:
| Hi, I recently installed ubuntu on my asus laptop (amd64, nvidia fxgo
5650, 512 mb ram) and mostly
| it works like a charm.
| The exceptions are:
| The rtc-bug is still there (adding "rtc" to /etc/modules doesn't help)
and I haven't been able to
| get x up and running (now it just crashes back to a totally distorted
console, probably something
| with the nv driver. In xorg 6.8, this doesn't occur).
| Some previous ubuntu-isos have been able to get x up using the
nv-driver, but in general xfree has
| never been playing well on this computer. I'm attaching my x config
and log.
| With the nvidia drivers it ususally works, but setting them up is a
real pain. Nvidia-glx package
| badly needed.
| Also broadcom hasn't bothered to make any drivers for my wireless
network adapter.

| Anway, great work ubuntu gals/guys!
|
| Mvh
| Tor-bj?rn

Bah sorry for the previous post. I just realized you are on amd64.
Xfree86 isn't totally stable on that machine. The driver module loader
seems to go banana once in a while.

Another solution is to use the -dbg server.

apt-get install xserver-xfree86-dbg

but remember that is not performant as the other.

Fabio

- --
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.
<user> fajita: step two
<fajita> When in danger or in doubt, step two is to scream and shout.