List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    cups (sharing+changing name)
From:       spyroux-ubuntu () spyroux ! be (Arnaud Ligot)
Date:       2004-10-06 21:05:27

Hello,

I have a printer which is a Brother HL-1200 that I already use with cups
on a debian stable The printer run in hp laserjet 4L emulation mode so I
use hpijs both on the old debian and the new one)... 1h ago, I install
ubuntu and I setup the printer with the gnome interface. I try to print
a test page, the data led of my printer blink one time but stop after
and noting came out of the printer. So I say my self 'Ok, they just
don't implement the test page...
I want to rename my printer because with the old debian installation,
this printer is named BigBrother and the ubuntu set his name to
LaserJet-4L. The problem is that this printer is shared on my network to
some w2k system that use an ipp://... url...
So I rename the printer using vim /etc/cups/printers.conf (just the
<DefaultPrinter ...> line. after that, I restart cupsys with the init.d
script and now the printer is printing ?!?!? so I try to change some
settings of my printer but the "extra" settings disappear from the
'properties' dialog of the gnome interface... I reset the old name and
the printer is printing AND the 'extra settings are present in the
dialog... strange...
So in order to write this mail, I remove the printer using the gnome
interface and I recreate it using the same interface... shit, it's
printing :-D

The second problem is that I didn't manage to configure cups in order to
allow connection from 192.168.1.*. It could be better if I could rename
the printer but it's not a real problem at first... could you help me to
share my printer ?

so... I summary :
problems :
	- after the installation the printer is not printing but I don't know
why and now it works ! :-/
	- there is no way to rename the printer easily
	- it could be great if somewhere there is a text dialog into the
interface where you could set the range of allowed IP.

thanks for your help and for ubuntu,

Arnaud L.