List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Dwl-650+ (Ndiswrapper in general)
From:       darrenc () telus ! net (Darren Critchley)
Date:       2004-10-06 19:45:04

Andr'e Kuntze wrote:

> > You can use the ndiswrapper.sourcforge.net method - it worked for me
> > but
> > a scanning tool called kismet would not work, otherwise everything
> > worked. This was the easiest method and required the least amount of
> > work. I only had to install gcc, g++ and the kernel-headers.
> > Documentation at sourceforge is good.
> >

> Hi Darren,
>
> you said, you just had to install the kernel-headers (+compiler stuff)? On \
> sourceforge (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Distributions ) it \
> says that you also need kernel-sources,... what about that?? Didn't you install \
> them??
> Is the package "linux-kernel-headers" enough or did you install a specific one like \
> "linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3"??
> Sorry, if this should be clear but i didn't use Debian before and configuring a \
> kernel without "make menuconfig" seems rather strange to me ;-)

I installed the linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386 which in turn will install
the linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3
What this does is install the necessary libraries and config file for
building kernel modules.
The config file is what the ndiswrapper is after as it tells it how your
kernel is configured and in turn configures itself.

I also installed gcc and g++, the rest seemed to be there.

Hope that helps.
Darren