List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Install problems
From:       niels_bohr () uol ! com ! br (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?F=E1bio?= Mendes)
Date:       2004-09-20 17:41:08

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 13:28 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:44:57AM +0200, Michael Thaler wrote:
> > first, please offer an option to NOT install a bootloader.
>
> You can do this in expert mode, and also I think by backing up from the
> message you get asking you whether you really want to install grub to
> the MBR and selecting "Continue without boot loader" from the main menu.

Completely not installing the boot loader don't seems good to me anyway.
If you don't want grub to touch your present config, install it to the
root (or the boot) partition and chainload the system from your main
bootloader since this way information about default kernel parameters
won't get lost. I guess the newbies should not care about bootloader
config, so it makes sense to me that this option is only present in the
'expert' mode. If you're familiar to linux, and is just installing your
home system, I recommend use the expert mode since it's much more robust
and is not difficult at all (it has good defaults).

-Fabio