List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Install problems
From:       michael.thaler () physik ! tu-muenchen ! de (Michael Thaler)
Date:       2004-09-20 7:44:57

Hi,

I installed ubuntu linux this morning and I found a couple of problems:

first, please offer an option to NOT install a bootloader. I did not
configure grub and so the installation of grub failed (that was what I
intended). I then chose not to install a boot manager in the install menu,
and added the necessary entries in my /boot/grub/menu.lst by hand. Ubuntu
booted fine, but an error occured during package installation. The package
ubuntu-artwork could not be installed due to an error in the install script.
gdm depends on ubuntu-artwork and could not be installed, either.
Creating the directory /boot/grub solved this. Also the package
gnome-system-tools could not be installed because it did not find a
gconf-scheme (sorry, I am at work now and don't know the exact error
message).

Also, ubunto linux tries to contact a ntp-server during booting. I don't
think this is a good idea for dial up users. It times out pretty quickly, but
I would still prefer if the installer asks me if I want to have ntp set up,

Greetings,
Michael