List:       ubuntu-motu
Subject:    Input for MOTU Meeting on Clamav
From:       ubuntu () kitterman ! com (Scott Kitterman)
Date:       2007-04-26 18:12:58

This agenda item should probably wait for a meeting that keescook can make it
to (he's offline the rest of this week for travel).  I am unable to make
today's meeting either.  Here is what I was thinking in case you go ahead and
discuss it:

Dapper and Edgy have clamav 0.8x.  Upstream has moved on to 0.9x and there are
API changes that make a 0.9x backport outside the scope of what backport
policy would permit.  OTOH, clamav is a security sensitive application and
particularly for Dapper (because it's LTS) just leaving them stuck at 0.88
seems problematic.

There is a new 0.88-4 package out from Debian for Sarge that we should
probably look at for updating Dapper/Edgy, but in the end I think that the
0.88 series is not likely to be mainatinable for another 4 years.

My suggestion is that we backport clamav 0.90.2 as a new backport package
something like clamav-09 so that people who want to upgrade Dapper/Edgy can
do so if they are willing to work through whatever breakage this causes
elsewhere (I think clamav-daemon will work fine, but am not certain).

I've built 0.90.2 on Edgy and Dapper.  Dapper took some minor dependency
adjustment, but produced a functional package.  I'd be willing to put the
initial backports packages on REVU, but am not qualified to keep them patched
for new security issues.

Scott K