List:       ubuntu-motu
Subject:    Looking for Mentors for my SDLMAME package
From:       cesare.falco () gmail ! com (Cesare Falco)
Date:       2007-04-22 20:05:00

Hello Micah, hello Gauvain,

> > What is the difference between your package and the xmame-sdl one? Are
> > they 2 different softwares?
>
> Yes, the latter is xmame with an SDL video driver. Xmame development has
> apparently not been moving significantly for a year or two, owing to
> changes in mame that xmame cannot follow without significant rewrites.
> sdlmame, OTOH, /is/ a rewrite, and follows more recent changes in Mame.
that's quite right!

xmame is a port to *nix platforms with relevant changes to the core.
It has different "backends" for input, video and sound, one of which
is the SDL library.
Starting from release 0.107, mame had some parts of the rendering code
rewritten, which are not easy to apply to xmame.
So xmame development frozen until further notice. :(

sdlmame is the baseline MAME code, using the SDL library instead of
DirectX (or whatever, I'm not familiar with windows libraries :| ).
The upstream maintainers are mame developers too, and that greatly helps
keeping it up to date.

> I'm happy to see someone packaging this! :)
I hope it will be useful once done "the right way"! :)

Cheers,
Cesare.