List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Re: Updated parameter
From:       Robie Basak <robie.basak () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2022-12-05 14:33:40

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 08:09:40PM +0000, Dan Moore wrote:
> I don't think a server OS should suspend when closing the laptop lid.
> I'd like /etc/systemd/logind.conf to have HandleLidSwitch=ignore in the Ubuntu \
> Server installation media.

Unfortunately this is not trivial to implement. Having the installer
change a file in /etc makes it look like a "user customization" and the
user may get prompted about it on upgrade as if they did it themselves,
and this is confusing.

And in general, having the installer cause different behaviour in the same
packages by default can be confusing.

Why are you installing Ubuntu Server on a laptop but expecting it to
behave like a server in the first place?

Arguably, if it's physically a laptop, users will expect it to suspend
on lid close anyway.

Robie