List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Redefining the Developer Event
From:       Lara Kisielewska <lara () xandmcmahon ! com>
Date:       2017-04-21 19:20:54

Redefining the Developer Event
By Randall Ross, Ubuntu Evangelist

We've all been to "those other" developer events: Sitting in a room watching a \
succession of never-ending slide presentations. Engagement with the audience, if any, \
is minimal. We leave with some tips and tools that we might be able to put into \
practice, but frankly, we attended because we were supposed to. The highlight was \
actually the opportunity to connect with industry contacts.

 Key members of the OpenPOWER Foundation envisioned something completely different in \
their quest to create the perfect developer event, something that has never been done \
before: What if developers at a developer event actually spent their time developing?

 The OpenPOWER Foundation is an open technical membership organization that enables \
its member companies to provide customized, innovative solutions based on POWER CPU \
processors and system platforms that encourage data centers to rethink their approach \
to technology. The Foundation found that ISVs needed support and encouragement to \
develop OpenPOWER-based solutions and take advantage of other OpenPOWER Ready \
components. The demand for OpenPOWER solutions has been growing, and ISVs needed a \
place to get started.

To solve this challenge, The OpenPOWER Foundation created the first ever Developer \
Congress, a hands-on event that will take place May 22-25 in San Francisco. The \
Congress will focus on all aspects of full stack solutions — software, hardware, \
infrastructure, and tooling — and developers will have the opportunity to learn and \
develop solutions amongst peers in a collaborative and supportive environment.

The Developer Congress will provide ISVs with development, porting, and optimization \
tools and techniques necessary to utilize multiple technologies, for example: \
PowerAI, TensorFlow, Chainer, Anaconda, GPU, FPGA, CAPI, POWER, and OpenBMC. Experts \
in the latest hot technologies such as deep learning, machine learning, artificial \
intelligence, databases and analytics, and cloud will be on hand to provide \
one-on-one advice as needed.

As Event Co-Chair, I had an idea for a different type of event. One where developers \
are treated as "heroes" (because they are — they are the creators of solutions). My \
Event Co-Chair Greg Phillips, OpenPOWER Content Marketing Manager at IBM, envisioned \
an event where developers will bring their laptops and get their hands dirty, working \
under the tutelage of technical experts to create accelerated solutions.

The OpenPOWER Developer Congress is designed to provide a forum that encourages \
learning from peers and networking with industry thought leaders. Its format \
emphasizes collaboration with partners to find complementary technologies, and \
provides on-site mentoring through liaisons assigned to help developers get the most \
out of their experience.

Support from the OpenPOWER Foundation doesn't end with the Developer Congress. The \
OpenPOWER Foundation is dedicated to providing its members with ongoing support in \
the form of information, access to developer tools and software labs across the \
globe, and assets for developing on OpenPOWER.
The OpenPOWER Foundation is committed to making an investment in the Developer \
Congress to provide an expert-rich environment that allows attendees to walk away \
three days later with new skills, new tools, and new relationships. As Thomas Edison \
said, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and \
looks like work." So developers, come get your hands dirty.

Learn more about the OpenPOWER Developer Congress at \
https://openpowerfoundation.org/openpower-developer-congress

About the author:
Randall Ross leads the OpenPOWER Ambassadors, and is a prominent Ubuntu community \
member. He hails from Vancouver BC, where he leads one of the largest groups of \
                Ubuntu enthusiasts and contributors in the world.