List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Auto File-Extension addition
From:       Yash Khosla <ykhosla () uwo ! ca>
Date:       2017-04-03 23:47:51

Hello,

I had the following concern. It's not typically a bug or a flaw but I would=
 still like to bring it to your notice because for me, it is a bit worrying=
.

Here's the scenario: I have a bin file which Ubuntu (14.04 and 16.04) can r=
un. If I make a symlink for that file and name it either 'readme', 'authors=
' or 'CHANGELOG', I get an icon which depicts a text file. Also, when i che=
ck the properties of this file, it says it is linked to a text document.

The worrying part here is that one could actually have a malicious bin file=
 and he could hide it by adding a '.' at the beginning of the filename, the=
n make a symlink and name it 'readme' or 'authors', tar/zip it, and send it=
 to anyone. Since the victim sees a text icon and the properties of the fil=
e says it's linked to a text document, I believe the victim would open it e=
xpecting a text file to open. But instead the malicious script could run in=
 the background and cause damage to the system.

What do you think about this? Shouldn't this assumption of the nature of th=
e file based on the filename be abandoned?

Regards,

Yash Khosla