List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Is that possible to let ZTE collaborate with the Ubuntu development community to make Ubuntu Phones
From:       Xiaodong Qi <e2000s () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-16 6:50:56

Dear developers,

I naively started an idea proposal for ZTE to support Ubuntu Touch OS on
their CSX program. See the Idea Proposal Thread at
https://community.zteusa.com/ideas/1869. The CSX program basically
allows community users to shape the next phone model of ZTE. To be
accepted, the idea has to be voted as one of the Top 3 ideas by Sep
10th. There is a prize for the final winners. I am grateful to everyone
who has voted on the Ubuntu Touch idea. In fact, I only asked the ZTE
engineers to put Ubuntu Touch on their supporting OS list and let
consumers to freely choose to install. The proposal is targeting at
establishing some collaboration between the smartphone giant ZTE and the
Ubuntu community! I hope this win-win collaboration and the offer of an
Ubuntu Touch choice is feasible for ZTE to accept and decent for the ZTE
forum users to vote up. I want to ask you guys here what else is needed
to be done to make the phone model compatible with Ubuntu Touch? Who
should I contact with for the details to make this collaboration from
ZTE possible?

I have naively suggested ZTE to donate a phone to UBport in the proposal
to implement the porting part. Or, the R&D engineers of ZTE should
collaborate with the Ubuntu phone developers to make the OS work on
their phones. But you may have better ideas on what should be done to
make it work. There may be legal problems I don't know before. Hopefully
I can get some comments on what to do next.

Disclaimer: I am no expert in this field. I don't care about the prize
for myself. If this idea was accepted for the coming Concept phase (Sep
12-30), I wish there can be a team organized from the Ubuntu community
to work together on the next detailed concept design proposal (let me
know if you are interested). Once all of these win the final bid and
make Ubuntu Touch a real thing for ZTE phones, I can and would suggest
to donate the earns from the prize back to the non-for-profit Ubuntu or
UBporting development community, and to where future development can be
conducted! Please let me know how this idea can be better pursued and
implemented, and who I should contact with for future endeavors. Hope
this helps. Thank you!

Xiaodong Qi