List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Lucid -> Precise trouble with do-release-upgrade
From:       marius () pov ! lt (Marius Gedminas)
Date:       2012-02-12 16:30:41

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 01:53:34PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 09:18:45AM +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Well, I do have packages installed which were not provided by Ubuntu and
> > I tried to upgrade to a pre-release version. Does it really mean I
> > should not report the problem?
>
> You should report it.  (Hmm, yes, the message is misleading.)
>
> > After all I found a workaround for this situation by removing some
> > packages which were installed from the Ubuntu repos.
>
> The more situations we can make work without workarounds, the better it
> will be for everyone.  We've been working our way through several of the
> more frequent upgrade problems, but it's not surprising that we haven't
> caught them all yet.

I've recently encountered an upgrade problem that I didn't report.

I've upgraded an Asus EeePC 900 from 10.10 to 11.04 using the GUI
(update-manager).  Due to the extremely slow SSD on the Asus the upgrade
took about 10 hours, so I left it unattended.  The next morning I found
that X had either crashed or restarted, leaving 'dpkg' and 'natty'
processes stuck in the background without a tty (strace on the dpkg
showed it was blocked trying to write to fd 1).  I managed to recover by
killall'ing dpkg and natty and doing a dpkg --configure -a over ssh
(the gdm login screen was completely nonresponsive to keyboard and mouse
input).

I haven't filed a bug because I've no idea what happened (neither
/var/log/Xorg.0.log nor /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old didn't have anything
suspicious like a stack trace; there were no segfault notices in dmesg).
Should I have?

Marius Gedminas
--
This host is a black hole at HTTP wavelengths. GETs go in, and nothing
comes out, not even Hawking radiation.