List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Introducing Products
From:       persia () ubuntu ! com (Emmet Hikory)
Date:       2010-11-23 18:18:21

Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 11/22/2010 01:02 PM, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>> Towards that end, each flavour team should consider which
>> installation targets they wish to support, and identify a product
>> manager who will be available as a contact for the release team to
>> provide confirmation of the completion of milestone validations and
>> release approval for each product. ?Depending on the internal
>> organisation of any specific flavour team, these product managers
>> might be part of the development team, part of the testing team, or
>> part of a management team. ?In all cases, the nominated product
>> managers should have access to the installation environment towards
>> which their product is targeted.
>
> I like your proposal. In the past, due to the somewhat chaotic ARM planning
> process, the kernel team has spent time and energy on ARM branches for
> platforms that nobody has actually used. We have since retired some ARM
> branches as obsolete and unmaintained.

    I suspect the output of this discovery will go a fair way towards
reducing that sort of confusion in the future, as we'll have a clearer
identification of populations willing to test various installation
targets.  If folks wish to support a target that doesn't have a
current kernel image, but can be supported by only configuration
changes to the Ubuntu kernels, should they request more kernel images
be produced by the kernel team, or upload their own derivative
kernels?  I'm hesitant to encourage anyone to attempt to produce
images where there isn't a working kernel in Ubuntu, but I'm not sure
how to advise folk who want to produce images for things that are
mostly supported, except in cases where there are meaningfully
invasive patchsets, where topic branches are clearly more appropriate
(with separate source packages producing separate images).

--
Emmet HIKORY