List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    cdrtools vs. cdrkit (was: brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults)
From:       lists () janc ! be (Jan Claeys)
Date:       2010-09-30 1:08:14

Directing this to ubuntu-devel-discuss as it's not really a technical
issue (yet)...

Op dinsdag 28-09-2010 om 21:47 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Allison
Randal:
> The Package Selection and Defaults track is about choosing the
> best-of-breed packages (applications, libraries, etc), a common task
> across all editions of Ubuntu. It includes considering the viability
> of up-and-coming new software, the decline of end-of-life packages,
> the risks and gains of upgrades and migrations.

I would like to suggest we re-evaluate 'cdrtools' as a replacement for
'cdrkit', as the former seems to fix a lot of bugs in the latter...
(And having to point people to a PPA to get a working CD or DVD drive
isn't exactly good for people's first experience with Ubuntu!)

In the past there were issues with licensing & copyright, but it seems
like these _might_ be solved in cdrtools 3.0 (released in June 2010) as
upstream claims that most code in it is now CDDL-licensed (seems like
only mkisofs and libhfs_iso are still GPL).
And in case mkisofs is still an issue, would it make sense to only
distribute the other tools?

--
Jan Claeys