List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    installing sources to make binaries out of it.
From:       michael () vorlon ! ping ! de (Michael Bienia)
Date:       2007-07-23 19:12:05

On 2007-07-23 21:15:17 +0530, shirish wrote:
> Now obviously this is for debian, do we have something like that for
> ubuntu. There are packages which don't have binaries. For instance
> these games :-

Why do you have the impression that this package won't work on Ubuntu?

> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/whichwayisup

The binaries are sitting in the NEW queue and will be available once the
archive admins review them.

> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snowballz
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bouncy

For both packages binaries are available now. As both packages are quite new
they were probably also stuck in the NEW queue.

> All of them don't have binaries just sources. If there is an easy way
> to install it or what?

The most common reasons why a source package has no binaries are:
 - it sits in the NEW queue
 - it fails to build from source (FTBFS)

In the first case be more patient and in the second case apt-src won't
help you much further as you will probably also run into the same
problem when building with apt-src.

Regards,

Michael