List:       ubuntu-devel-discuss
Subject:    Request for Comments (RFC): Potential change in setting sound card volume on boot
From:       burner () suppressingfire ! org (Michael R !  Head)
Date:       2007-07-06 18:16:44

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 01:02 -0400, Daniel T. Chen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:49 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:
> > Should it not be possible to extract the smarts from mixer_applet and
> > put it into alsa-utils (or some other startup/shutdown script)?
>
> Not quite.  "Extracting the smarts" would be equivalent to amending
> /etc/init.d/alsa-utils to add the appropriate regexp logic so that
> levels are maintained across boots with differing element names.  Note
> that one wouldn't want to place the regexp logic in the initscript
> necessarily, since upstream modifies the mixer element strings
> frequently (and at times with befuddling consequences, e.g., 'External
> Amplifier' toggles).  Such a change, of course, would tie the initscript
> to the default ALSA version shipped in $release, else we're back to the
> current mess.

Yeah, putting logically equivalent regexps in multiple places sounds
like a bad idea.

I guess what I was trying to get at was that maybe mixer_applet's
logical mapping (which this argument presupposes is "correct", since
that seemed to be what the OP was saying) could be extracted into a
library which both mixer_applet and a command line program/init script
could both use. Of course, this would take a lot more work and
coordination with upstreams.

But it's no big deal, of course. It seemed like the proposal was going
to cause a regression for folks like me that have had sound levels
working fine across boots on a daily basis while fixing a sound level
problem that some face when upgrading.

It looks like it won't have that big an affect on me, so I'm no longer
worried.

> Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the technical details.

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/