List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    git-ubuntu experimental commands
From:       Robie Basak <robie.basak () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2023-09-01 14:05:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

experimental commands directly in the git-ubuntu snap:

  * git-ubuntu.experimental-build (formerly gu-build, by Steve)

  * git-ubuntu.experimental-emptydirfixup (empty directory workaround -
    see LP: #1917877)

These will tab-complete but are still awkwardly long. I suggest that
developers who want to use these frequently set up local aliases such as
gu-build and gu-emptydirfixup.

The branch also renames sandbox/gu-build in the source tree to
sandbox/build to remove the redundancy, in you've been using that. You
should be able to continue running it straight out of the source tree as
before if you wish.

I've been reluctant to integrate these into git-ubuntu "proper" as
subcommands since that would imply CLI stability which I would then
expect to break. Hopefully this is a reasonable middle ground that makes
these components more accessible. We can use this pattern to incubate
any other wrappers and similar enhancements until we've settled on a
stable CLI and reached production quality with tests, etc, before
adopting them into git-ubuntu proper.

You can try this out with:

    sudo snap refresh --channel edge/experimental-endpoints git-ubuntu

This branch will exist until the end of September.

The MP is here:

    https://code.launchpad.net/~racb/git-ubuntu/+git/usd-importer/+merge/450452

Review/feedback welcome. I'll land it in a week if there are no
objections, at which point it'll appear in the regular edge channel.

Thanks,

Robie