List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Re: systemd-oomd issues on desktop
From:       Ted Gould <ted () gould ! cx>
Date:       2022-06-10 14:30:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Jun 9 2022, at 2:19 pm, Dan Streetman <ddstreet@ieee.org> wrote:
> Was systemd-oomd enabled by default for a specific reason? The kernel
> is quite able to handle oom situations itself, and has been for years,
> so while I'm not trying to suggest systemd-oomd is without any use
> case, I'm skeptical that systemd-oomd should be enabled *by default*.
> I think it's more likely to behave better when enabled to address a
> specific system use case, and leave the default behavior of handling
> oom to the kernel.

What the kernel does hasn't been working and we've been discussing fixes for it for \
years. The problem is that the kernel only considers processes, not applications. So \
then when it is freeing up memory it'll kill one process of an application, but not \
remove the entire application. Systemd, using cgroups, starts to think of \
applications together so that the memory can be managed in a more sensible manner. My \
guess, without any data to back it up, is that browsers have benefited from this \
oversight as they've also put tabs in separate processes and thus avoided OOM action. \
Ted