List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Backup api.
From:       Stef Bon <stefbon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-12-16 10:41:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

I'm a developer of a backup project. It's called fuse-backup, and aims to
provide easy access to backup and earlier versions through a fuse
filesystem.

It's using btrfs to create snapshots, sqlite to keep track of what has been
changed ans what versions of a file are available, and a fuse fs to provide
easy access and a simple interface to manage backups.

One of the things I want to achieve is integration with Dolphin, the
filebrowser in KDE. I want to make it possible to add an option to the
context menu per file to show versions. The most I want is that Dolphins
expands the file with all the versions available.

See:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fusebackup/

The screenshots will give some explanation I hope.

I've been looking at the existing versioncontrolplugin API  of Dolphin, but
it looks like I need something else. Now on one my computers I have the
latest Ubuntu desktop version installed, and I see that in the filemanager
in Unity there is already such an option:"Revert to Previous Version...".

You are ahead of me !
But isn't it a good idea to develop a common api to deal with various
backup sollutions?
To work with different filemanagers and different backup software?

Stef Bon
the Netherlands